Driving Techniques that Prolong the life of Your Car
Have you ever wondered how some drivers are able to drive their cars without trouble for years while putting lots of mileage in them while others can’t make it past 60,000 miles? There are many factors that affect the longevity of the car such as the car make and model. However, the way you drive your car can significantly impact how long you’ll go before a major breakdown occurs or if it ever will occur. Here are a few driving techniques that’ll help you keep your car a lot longer:
- Accelerate slowly – accelerating rapidly can blow the head gaskets of your car especially if the engine is cold. Do not floor the gas pedal unless it’s an emergency. Improve on accelerating smoothly and your passengers will thank you for that.
- Plan your stops – Do not break at the last minute when you realize you won’t make it to the light. Stopping suddenly will wear down your brakes quickly and will also avoid spilling your morning coffee all over your car.
- Get in the freeway at least once a month – driving at freeway speeds helps your car flush contaminants which help in the performance of it.
- Run the air conditioner, heater, windshield defroster at least once a month – these parts tend to have problems when not in use for long periods of time for various reasons. For example, for the air conditioning system, oil can settle in the compressor if not in use for a long time.
- Parking brake – same as above, parking brakes tend to get stuck if not used often. Parking brakes are crucial in situations where your regular brakes fail to stop properly. If the parking brake is stuck, you might hit another vehicle. Make use of it at least once a month even if you don’t feel it’s needed.
- Use only your right foot to accelerate/brake – some people prefer to use both feet – once for accelerating and one for braking. However, accelerating and breaking can confuse your car computer which can cause it to stall and high emissions.
- Shift into park when idling for more than a couple of minutes – if you need to wait for a friend outside of his house do not put your car on neutral. When in neutral, the bearings do not get lubricated as much which can cause problems with your transmission. Just shift it into park to avoid problems.
Following these simple techniques can can help avoid costly repairs and prolong the life of your car. At L&D Auto Repair of Olathe are always available to assist when repairs are needed. Come see us today!